Top Chinese legislator, political advisor mourn death of Cambodia’s former King

Wu Bangguo (L), chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress, visits the Embassy of Cambodia in China to express his condolence and sympathy following the death of Cambodian King-Father Norodom Sihanouk in Beijing, capital of China, Oct. 16, 2012.

Chinese top legislator Wu Bangguo and top political advisor Jia Qinglin mourned the death of Cambodia’s former King Norodom Sihanouk at the Cambodian Embassy in Beijing on Tuesday.

Wu, chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress (NPC), expressed deep condolences on behalf of the NPC.

Wu said Sihanouk was an outstanding leader of Cambodia’s people as well as a great friend of the Chinese people, adding that the friendship created and cultivated by Sihanouk and the older generation of Chinese leaders was deeply rooted in the two peoples and yielded great results.

He said China will work with Cambodia to push forward bilateral ties.

Jia, chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), mourned Sihanouk’s death on behalf of the CPPCC and conveyed his sympathies to the President of Cambodia’s Senate Chea Sim.

Jia also hailed Sihanouk’s contributions to the people of Cambodia and to the bilateral friendship, saying Sihanouk will long be remembered by the Chinese people.

He said he believes the bilateral friendship will see continuous development through the two sides’ joint efforts.

Upon arriving at the embassy, both Chinese leaders were silent and bowed three times in front of Sihanouk’s portrait.

They each signed the book of condolences.

Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Royal Palace Kong Sam Ol and Cambodian Ambassador Khek Caimealy Sysoda expressed gratitude for the condolences.

Born on Oct. 31, 1922, Norodom Sihanouk reigned from 1941 to 1955 and again from 1993 until his voluntary abdication on Oct. 7, 2004 in favor of his son, the current King Sihamoni. He died of illness at the age of 90 early Monday morning.


Leave a Reply